Journey to Africa

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Random observations from life....

I’m amazed at how quickly ideas of being clean and smelling good leave my mind as I begin washing my clothes by hand each week.  “Clean” becomes a relative term and I soon hear myself saying a phrase my mom says all the time: “Good enough for who it’s for!”  I love that phrase!!

 

And, of course, I can’t be too concerned about being clean and smelling good when I am walking around my town in 120ish degree weather!  At those temperatures, the main thing you worry about is finding shade.

 

Fortunately, rainy season has begun and so every few days, we have a good rain that cools things down for a day.  Praise the Lord for His blessings from above!!!

 

For someone watching me, it’s probably quite an interesting sight when it rains.  First, if I see the clouds before the rain begins, I run inside and get my camera.  I love taking sky pictures!!  After I have captured the look of the sky to my satisfaction, I return my camera to its place and wait for the rain to begin.  Once it does, I am almost always out standing in it!! I’m sure my guard and his family think I’m the strangest person they know when everyone else is running for cover and I stand around dancing in it!! J  But we have to learn to enjoy the small things in life...things like rain after days of scorching temperatures!

 

I’m beginning to get used to my town.  I go out walking everyday…each time trying to find someplace new to see.  I love the various reactions of people as I walk down the street!!  Children, especially, are precious to watch!!  For some, they run up to me and greet me with their versions of “Bonjour!”  They laugh and smile and even come to shake my hand.  Others are a little more wary and smile shyly at me from a safe distance.  Those are the ones that usually get their courage after I’ve already passed by.  And it’s those moments that I often here a chorus of “Bonjour”s follow me down the street.  And then there are those who are scared to death of me!!  J  A simple glance in their general direction is enough to send them running and crying! 

 

Ahhh….Africa….

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home