Journey to Africa

Friday, July 17, 2009

The bus ride...

Let me take you on a little journey - the experience of a bus ride in Niger....

I got up early because I had to be at the bus station at 6:00 am.  Now, they told me that the bus wouldn't arrive until 7 but for some unknown reason, I had to be there an hour early.  I wanted to ask them if they were going to serve breakfast while I waited...but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed anything they gave me anyway!!

So, 6:00 and I begin my wait.  As I wait, more people begin showing up and the pile of luggage grows.  By 7:00, there is a whole group of us waiting and a small mountain of luggage.  Shortly after the hour, one bus comes but continues on past....it's full.  A few minutes later, two more buses come and stop.  They begin to try to figure out where they are going to fit all the luggage.  I wait and wait until finally, the bus man looks at me and says "Rakia!!  Come!"  

I give him my ticket and work at finding a seat on the already crowded bus.  I finally find a seat - sandwiched between two men.  I get settled and find that neither of the men are willing to give up any space - even if it's being taken from what should be my seat.  

So, we begin our journey...we have several stops along the way.  At the bigger stops, the bus pulls into a compound and people can get out and buy food, water, etc.  I tend to stay on the bus because it has been known to leave people behind...

We get about halfway and my friend calls.  So I try to hear her over the roar of the motor, the babies crying and other people talking.  From that point on, my phone no longer works.  

A few hours later, the bus stops - I look up and realize that we have stopped in the middle of nowhere - not a good sign.  People begin getting out and I watch as they stand watching the driver and his helpers do something underneath the bus.  Before long, those watching begin to find areas of shade to sit down - also not a good sign!  Finally I make my way off the bus and watch as they fiddle with something about the oil.  

30 minutes later we get it fixed and load up again.  We continue down the road - me squished in between these two men.  I hear people's phones ringing but each time I check mine, it says no signal.  

So, as we approach our second to last stop, I begin to realize that it will be dark when I arrive in Niamey.  But, can I call anyone to tell them?  No...my phone, still no signal.  We begin the home stretch at about 6:00 pm.  By this point, I'm tired of heat, body odor, babies crying, people staring.....I'm ready to be off the bus!!

FINALLY at 8:00 PM we arrive in Niamey - Total travel time: 13 hours!!!  

And then, just when I think I'm too tired and miserable to continue, the Father places in my path a taxi man who speaks Hausa and happens to be from my town.  Our conversation on the way to the Guesthouse - mostly about Jesus!!  Praise the Lord for giving us those opportunities to share when we feel we are at our weakest moments - those are the times we allow God to speak for us the most!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home