Journey to Africa

Friday, April 28, 2006

The things I do in Africa...

So, have you ever had to order Chinese food in Africa using French? LOL…ah the things I do in Africa!!

A inti jam! (Good afternoon) Language study is going great…Fulfulde is definitely challenging but that makes me all the more determined to learn it as quickly as I can. There are many little rules and things to learn...in fact, I have an entire section in my notebook that I have affectionately titled "Random Rules." And guess what else?!? In Fulfulde, there are not words for the different colors but rather there are verbs that literally mean "to be red" "to be yellow" and so on!! Aaahhh...the joys of language learning! But our teacher is wonderful and very helpful not only with learning language, but also with learning cultural issues as well.

I’ve been having some driving lessons with Melissa recently. All the vehicles here are stick-shifts and I do not know how to drive them. So, we went out a few days and have driven around the compound a little. I’m proud to say that so far, I’ve only killed it three times. Not too bad, I think, for a beginner. I have also, unintentionally, had to stop and start again on a hill. Not the funnest thing in the world but I made it. I think it will be a little while before I have enough confidence to drive out on the roads in the capital – it’s one thing to learn to drive a stick in the states – it’s a completely different issues learning to drive a stick in Africa!!

Mostly, my days are consisting of going to Fulfulde class, studying my notes, taking a break to eat, and then studying some more!! And of course, a few ocassional trips to market to pick up a few "necessities" like cloth for skirts and outfits or bracelets or headwraps, or....lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home