Journey to Africa

Friday, June 16, 2006

Turning 23 in Africa!!

Well, yesterday (June 15th) was my 23rd birthday. My first birthday here in Africa. My teammates made the day very special for me. They made a cake and we played Taboo for a while. The cake actually had 23 candles on it!! I felt very old seeing the top of the cake covered with candles! You know you're in Africa when you have to blow out the candles quickly because they melt so much faster here and so wax begins dripping on the cake!! You can see the picture of the cake and me blowing out my candles (all in one blow, too!!)!
















The day was fun, despite the fact I still had to go to language class. Our teacher told me that I was the boss of class that day since it was birthday. Unfortunately, "Class hanti" (class over) wasn't an option, even for the boss!

Over all, it was great day!! What a great way to spend a birthday - celebrating in Africa!!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I could have been there for your birthday. I am so anxious to come to Africa and see all that you have been talking about. I'm glad you had a "Happy Birthday"
    Love you much,
    Mom

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Rachel- I enjoy your email updates and photos with narrative. I pray for you and those you encounter. Your cultural experience becomes mine through your writing. Thank you. Happy belated birthday! Rhonda F

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Honey
    Sorry we were not able to celebrate your birthday with you. I can't believe you are 23. I still think of you as a baby standing in your long dress and pantaloons I made you. We are glad you had a good day AND a cake.
    We are well, just more aching every day and glad we do not have to drive a moto.
    Our love to you. G and G

     

Post a Comment

<< Home