Journey to Africa

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The view from my moto...

Well, it's been a while since I've written. Sorry about that. Much has been going on in life since we got back from our trip out East to see our new homes. We've heard that work is getting done on our house and we are anxious to move in!

One of the major new developments lately is that we have now received our motos. For those of you who do not know what a "moto" is, let me try to give you a picture. It's basically a small motorcycle with not quite as much power behind it. At first, I'm sure they look a little silly for anyone used to seeing the larger motorcycles in the states. My first moto lesson went very well. I was quite afraid at first but after the first time I rode it, it became much easier and I became much more comfortable. At one point, as I was driving down the road, I heard a loud horn behind me and before I knew it, I was being passed by another (much faster) moto. It was a little intimidating being passed on my moto but I made it safely home just the same. We do have helmets that we wear although they seem a little ridiculous looking. They are quite huge but I suppose that's good...they'll protect us.

We even took an afternoon to go practice riding around in sand - that's how we will be getting to our villages and around here, sand is a unavoidable thing. It's quite an experience, I must say, riding in sand. The best thing to do is to keep going so you don't get stuck. But, of course, I was quite afraid the first time I hit sand and really began to wobble so I stopped....and, well I got stuck. But getting out isn't as bad as it may seem. Although the little boys riding by on the donkey cart laughing didn't really help matters much....

We've been doing lots of shopping and making various trips to market getting everything we will need for our house when we move. It's been quite fun and quite exhausting as well. Picking out curtains and dishes doesn't seem like it would be exhausting but when you have to do it in a store that is probably hotter than outside and in a language you aren't really familiar with, it begins to get tiring a lot faster. I got a package the other day and one of the things was wrapped in a Wal-Mart sack. Ahhh....Wal-Mart. How I miss one-stop shopping some days!!!

Hopefully I'll soon have some pictures of my moto experiences to show you. I'm sure you'll find them interesting!!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi sissy,

    I just figured out how to make a comment, I think. You may never see this. I don't know. Saw the moto picture on Jessica's blog thing. Get me one of those in a X-Large when I get there. I have decided there are no hippopotamus in Niger. I think the girraffes scared them all off. I imagine you are very much missing me singing to you. Especially with your birthday almost here. I will try to write a special song for your birthday. That should really get you excited. Well better go for now.Say hi for me to all your team. We'll be praying for you and your moto. Is it all right for me to say that?
    Hope this goes through

     

Post a Comment

<< Home